In this SAP HANA tutorial, we will know about What is SAP HANA Business Application Studio, How to Configure SAP Business Application Studio Development for SAP HANA, and its capabilities.
Also, Read: How to Create SAP Analytics Cloud Story
What is SAP HANA Business Application Studio
SAP Business Application Studio is an integrated development environment provided by SAP for building and extending applications on the SAP Cloud Platform.
- It provides a collaborative and cloud-based environment where developers can design, build, test, and deploy applications using different technologies and frameworks.
- It supports famous frameworks like SAP Fiori, SAPUI5, and Node.js, so that developers can use these technologies to create modern, user-friendly applications.
- The IDE offers pre-configured development templates, intelligent code editors for code completion and highlighted syntax, debugging capabilities, and version control integration.
- It also provides access to a wide range of SAP functions and APIs and allows developers to consume them communicate and quickly integrate their applications with other SAP Systems and services.
In addition, SAP Business Application Studio encourages collaboration by offering features such as real-time collaboration, where multiple developers can work on the same project simultaneously, and with built-in tools for code analysis and sharing code snippets.
Overall, SAP Business Application Studio simplifies the development processes for building applications on the SAP Cloud Platform, providing an integrated and responsive environment for developers to build, test and deploy their applications.
SAP HANA Business Application Studio Capabilities
In SAP Business Application Studio, you have access to one or multiple dev spaces, which are dedicated development environments equipped with the necessary tools, capabilities, and resources for your application development.
Depending on the type of application you intend to build, each dev space is tailored with specific tools catered to that application type. Furthermore, you have the flexibility to augment your application’s capabilities by incorporating additional tools and extensions to meet your specific requirements.
The dev space in SAP Business Application Studio function as a separate development environment that offers a familiar and localized experience. In the dev space, you will have different kinds of tools that help you in executing the commands and interacting with system files such as the terminal.
This allows you to test and run the application directly within the dev space without the need to deploy it to the target runtime, such as Cloud Foundry.
It’s similar to working on your personal computer(PC), where you can experiment and evaluate your application’s behavior in a controlled environment before deploying it to the intended platform.
Unlike standard desktop integrated development environments (IDEs), SAP Business Application Studio offers a unique collection of specialized tools intended exclusively for developing business applications within the SAP ecosystem.
These tools are made to meet the unique needs and difficulties involved in creating applications that seamlessly integrate with SAP systems and services. The entire development cycle is covered by these tools:
- Use a Git client to copy an existing project, or use templates to start a new project.
- For SAP-specific technologies, use editors.
- Test your application quickly in your development environment while using services from outside sources.
- The application should be created as an MTA and then deployed
To use the SAP Business Application Studio, you can use the following browsers. With time, more browsers will be added.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
How to Set Up SAP HANA Business Application Studio for DEV
To set up SAP HANA Business Application Studio for development, follow these steps:
- Access the SAP Business Application Studio: Go to the SAP Cloud Platform cockpit (https://cockpit.hanatrial.ondemand.com) and log in with your credentials. Navigate to the “Instances” section and select your Business Application Studio instance.
- Launch SAP Business Application Studio: Click on the “Launch” button to open SAP Business Application Studio in a new browser tab.
- After clicking on the SAP HANA Business Application Studio, you might see the page like this:
- The message shows that the subscription for the SAP HANA Business Application Studio is not added to your Trial account or you need to subscribe to the SAP HANA Business Application Studio before using it.
- To add the plans for SAP HANA Business Application Studio follow the below steps:
- To Open the SAP BTP cockpit, click on the Go To Your Trial Account button.
2. Then next tab opens, select the subaccount that you have created or create a new one.
3. Next, click on Entitlements in the navigation section, and again click on Configure Entitlements.
4. Click on the Add Service Plans.
5. Then search for the SAP in the search box, and choose the SAP Business Application Studio from the available entitlement list. Then from the Service Details section check the box for trial application.
6. And click on the Add 1 Service Plan button to add the entitlement for the current subaccount.
7. Click on the Save button to save the selected plans as shown in the below picture.
8. Click on the Service Marketplace from the navigation area, then click on the SAP Business Application Studio as shown in the below picture.
9. Then click on the Create button to create an SAP Business Application Studio instance or subscription.
10. A wizard appears to set up the configuration of SAP Business Application Studio. Keep the default value or information for the SAP Business Application instance and click on the Create button at the right bottom as shown in the below picture.
11. The message screen appears to inform the instance creation in progress.
12. After performing the above steps, you will be able to open the SAP Business Application Studio. Next, Enter the SAP credentials as shown in the below picture and click on the “Log On” button.
13. After login, you might see the screen for accepting legal terms as shown in the below picture. Click on the OK button.
14. The welcome page of SAP HANA Business Application Studio appears after clicking on the OK button as shown in the below picture. Remember, the welcome page appears when you don’t have the dev space.
If you have already created dev space, then the welcome page will not appear. In this case, the dev space manager appears.
NOTE:-> Before creating a dev space, we need to know “What is dev space”, Dev spaces may be easily spun up and are similar to isolated virtual machines in the cloud. Each type of development environment has pre-installed runtimes and specialized tools for a particular target scenario, such as SAP Fiori or mobile development.
-> Since there is no need to install anything or perform an upgrade, setting up the development environment is made simpler and faster. Developers can now concentrate on their particular business domain whenever and wherever they choose.
-> To create a dev space click on the button Create Dev Space. Please take note that you are only allowed two Dev Spaces during the SAP BTP trial, and only one of them can be activated at once.
-> You may have already hit your limit if you have participated in other workshops. In such a scenario, in order to continue with this workshop, you might need to eliminate one of the other dev spaces.
15. On the next page enter Dev_Hana as the name of your development space, and choose the SAP HANA Native Application as the type of application you want to create.
The majority of the tools you typically require for the kind of application you select will automatically be configured in the development space. But you can also select other, optional extensions.
16. After making all the necessary selections, click Create Dev Space.
17. The creation of your cloud environment will take place while the Dev Space is starting, which should take about a minute.
When the Dev Space displays the green Running state, you can click its name to open the editor in your browser.
18. You will be taken to your just-created SAP Business Application Studio Dev Space. To make it simpler for you to access this SAP Business Application Studio development space in the future, we advise you to bookmark this URL.
This is how to Set up the SAP HANA Business Application Studio for DEV.
Have a look: How to Work With SAP HANA Cloud Integration
How to Configure SAP Business Application Studio Development for SAP HANA
We need to perform a few additional one-time configuration procedures to have the Dev Space ready before we start our SAP HANA project.
- Click on the Cloud Foundry targets icon on the Business Application Studio’s left side.
- You can now expand Services or Applications in the Cloud Foundry Targets box before selecting the logon icon to carry on with the setting.
- Then to the left of the SAP Business Application Studio, the Cloud Foundry Sign-In window will appear. You will be prompted for the API endpoint on the first input.
- Please confirm the default value, which can be received from the SAP BTP cockpit at the Subaccount level, as it might not be the right value.
- You must enter the email address that you used to set up your SAP BTP account in the following input form.
- Your organization will be requested the following information. You will typically only have one option available to you. Similar to the API endpoint mentioned previously, the SAP BTP cockpit’s top navigation will display the right value if you need to double-check it.
- Also, select the space as shown in the below picture.
- You should see that the Organization and Space have been configured once all the inputs have been completed, and any service or application instances from the target space are visible.
- You should have a working HANA instance, and the SAP Business Application Studio should have allowed you to create a Dev Space and customize it to meet your requirements. Now is the time to start developing.
Also, you may like some more SAP tutorials:
- What is SAP HANA Cloud Graph [Detailed Guide]
- How to Use Select Statement in SAP HANA Cloud
- How to Create a Foreign Key in SAP ABAP
- Operators in SAP HANA Cloud
In this SAP HANA tutorial, we have discussed “What is SAP Business Application Studio” and its capabilities. How to set up and configured a Dev environment in SAP Business Application Studio.
- What is SAP HANA Business Application Studio
- SAP HANA Business Application Studio Capabilities
- Setting Up the SAP HANA Business Application Studio for DEV
- Configure Dev Environment in SAP HANA Business Application Studio
I am Chris Waldron, working as a Senior SAP HANA Consultant at Halliburton, Houston, Texas, United States. I have been working in SAP for more than 15 years, especially in SAP IT consulting and business consulting. I worked in various industries in Sales & Distribution, Customer Relationship Management, banking, Risk Management, etc. And I am an SAP Certified Development Specialist – ABAP for SAP HANA 2.0 and SAP HANA Modeling Certified consultant. Read more